Extracted in the valley of Estours, a beautiful valley of the Ariège department in France, the Vert d'Estours marble has a fresh spring color. It is used in the decorative arts for the realization of fireplaces, pedestals of statuettes, shelfs of furniture pieces, etc.
Used since Antiquity for the most solemn and sumptuous monuments, such as the Mosaula of Hadrian, or later the Pasteur Institute in 1887, the Paonazzo marble is extracted in Italy in the quarries of Carrara and Calacatta.
Of a white or cream background, it is distinguished by lightning-like veins, lined with yellow and purple.
Often selected by the World's Fairs attendants to compete in sumptuousness, it is in this marble that Ruhlmann realizes the Art Deco bathroom of his famous Pavilion of the Collector, at the International Exhibition of Decorative Arts of 1925.
Discover our selection of fireplaces in Paonazzo marble:
Praised for the freshness of its color, the Bleu Fleuri marble offers a variety of shades from gray to sky blue. It is a sought-after marble whose veins also take various forms according to the marble cut. Sometimes of deep black, these veins highlight the subtle blue color of the stone.
Of a more rare blue than the Turquin, it was particularly appreciated in the 19th century for the creation of fireplaces. It is indeed Pompadour fireplaces, Louis XIV or Louis XVI styles fireplaces, made in the 19th century, that most often allow to admire this marble. It is brought up to date by Napoleon I, who chooses a Bleu Fleuri fireplace to decorate his apartments at the Chateau of Compiègne.
The Bleu Fleuri marble comes mainly from the quarries of Seravezza in Tuscany, quarry that provides the most beautiful marble, including the famous white Carrara marble.
Named after Morello cherries, the sumptuous Red Griotte marble has its color, a deep red. Its motifs are due to fossilized shells in the stone, and it is often stripped or flecked of white calcite, in which case one will name it "partridge eye" ("oeil de Perdrix").
Seeing it as an exceptional marble, King Louis XIV decrees in 1692 "Royal Quarries" the Red Griotte marble quarries of Minervois, nearby Carcassonne. Very much in vogue in the 18th century , the Red Griotte is a marble of preference for aristocratic fireplaces. The Palace of Versailles holds several specimen, as in Louis XV's Cabinet, with gilded bronze decorations. The Louvre, the Château de Fontainebleau, the Grand Foyer in Opéra Garnier, hold fellow fireplaces, rivaling their charm. Often used as well for little objects that are immediately glorified by its aspect, like clocks and statuettes, this marble also adorns palace and church architectures.
The Red Griotte marble is still mainly extracted from the Minervois quarry, but this magnificent material can also be found in the Hautes-Pyrénées department, and in the Spanish Basque Country.